Sunday, January 15, 2006

Charles Dickens' Oliver Twist now as movie

When I was about 8 or 9 years of age, my sister Rachael used to teach me to read simplified and abridged versions of Charles Dickens' classics like Oliver Twist.

Although I have grown much older now, I still enjoy Charles Dickens' works which always show strong sympathy and empathy for the weak, poor and marginalised or social underdogs.

Oliver Twist was first published in 1837-8. Its socio-economic background was the dark side of the dog-eat-dog capitalism in Britain in the 19th century which was so brilliantly observed and analysed by Karl Marx's lifelong intellectual partner and revolutionary comrade Frederick Engels in The Condition of the Working Class in England.

1 Comments:

Blogger samrocha said...

very nice article on Twist, I just posted a relfection on Marx, check it out if you like:

www.debaterelatepontificate.blogspot.com

I have also enjoyed looking through your archives... If your interested in a reciprocal link let me know

6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home