Friday, December 01, 2006

God in science textbook: a critical reflection

I have received the following letter from a reader of this blog, Mr. Fong Soon Cheong. With his permission, I reproduce it in its original form for public discussion in a rational and socially responsible manner. Thank you very much in anticipation.

Dear Sir,

I would like to bring up one very importance issue which I found it in Science subject for student at Standard 5 (English Version).

On the page 2 of the above-mentioned textbook, of which the title of it is 'The Unseen Life", the first sentence from the first paragraph as stated below: -

All living things are created by God.

I do not know how many of us realize about this.

I thought religious thinking should not be incorporated into science kingdom.

Are we going backward to the 'Dark Ages' just like in the year of 500 A.D. to 1500 A.D. in Europe.

What can we do about this ? What can I contribute in this ?

Best Regards,
Fong Soon Cheong

5 Comments:

Blogger ChiaKC said...

Human mind search for the High devise philosophy of science. I think attempts to understand any secular matters should not deviate from High spirituality.

Modern science is empirical, pragmatic. However science prove nothing about the world. Take the picture of rainbow for example, we all know what and how rainbow is made, but never we understand why. So science is not the approach to understand God, since God's essence cannot confined by intellectual powers.

God created everything. Mystic because no human on earth can prove or disprove it. So to me I can accept such notion easily.

11:26 PM  
Blogger kensolusiā„¢ said...

you only know god because you were taught to.
we know the world beacause we put our thoughts to.

"what makes my hand move?" the old perenial question.

the religious: "cause god made me do it. god makes me do everything."

the scientific: "the muscles which were directed by the brain. simple."

the enlightened: "because I am powered by life. I am full of life. And because I choose to. Life is 'god'."

the point is keep religion where it is at the religious classes be it ugama or cathechism etc.

keep science free from pure beliefs. science is about understanding. unless you term 'god' as a theory of life. then ok.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Jon said...

Hi, you typed the author's name wrongly.

It should be "Mr. Fong Soon Cheong" instead!

4:57 PM  
Blogger James Wong Wing-On said...

Errata:
_______

I made a typo mistake and wish to apologise for any inconvenience:

"Foong" in my entry should read Fong.

1/1/2009

7:14 AM  
Blogger James Wong Wing-On said...

"Foong" in my entry now has now been corrected as FONG.

10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home