Tuesday, April 26, 2011

My education in arithmatics and mathematics

Helping out in the family' s coffeeshop in downtown Ipoh in the 1970's certainly strengthened my mental capability for arithmatics because I had to remember all the prices of kopi (teh) -o, kopi (teh) susu, Milo susu or kosong, roti bakar, Coca-Cola, Sarsi, 7-Up, etc and be able to add them up in many different combinations for customers to pay up. Like all the good kedai kopi boys in downtown Ipoh those years, I did the calculations without any paper and pencil, or electronic calculator. From 1978 to 1981, I studied in science stream which taught, among other very tough subjects, Pure, Applied and Additional Mathematics. In 1982, I continued to be in science class at the Monash High School in Melbourne and, at the end of that year, I completed my secondary education with the award of the Victorian Higher Schools' Certificate. My education in arithmatic as well as mathematics have contributed to making me to think logically , rationally and systematically as well as to accept and also respect the existence of a realm of objectivity.