Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Visiting a Buddhist temple

After my visit to the Chinese-language books' exhibition in Kampung Baru Jerom the day before yesterday, I went also to a nearby and newly-built Buddhist temple with my wife to see for ourselves the various expressions of the Holy by followers of Buddha. Although I am not a Buddhist by faith, I always find some rather universal teachings of Buddha, like the ancient Greeks' Stoicism, about detachment from worldly materialism and self-transcendance of greed, jealousy, resentment and vindictiveness very enlightening.

While Jesus Christ had never acquired any princely power and wealth on earth, Buddha himself, as a former Hindu prince, set a very high standard of personal example by giving it all up in order to be a moral teacher of mankind. Both Jesus Christ and Buddha taught believers and followers to be peaceable and forgiving.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home