Wednesday, April 27, 2011

In appreciation of my grandmother's foresight

Not too long ago, a retired teacher in my hometown Ipoh recalled that I was also a school prefect and librarian from 1979 to 1981. Indeed , I was so preoccupied with school studies, extra-mural activities as well as family works that I had little time and energy left for unproductive speculations on 'gods and ghost' or involving in undesirable activities. Before he passed away two years ago, a close friend of my father and a neighbour also told me that my grandmother made the very correct decision in discouraging me and also his children from developing the addiction for Taiwan-produced soap operas that were obssessed with themes and scenes focusing on quarrels among family members, who exchanged ill-mannered insults or curses with highly emotional tones.