Friday, November 25, 2005

A prayer for their future

Just before I left, these adik-adik came to bid abang ini farewell asking me to visit them and to join them for another round of bicycle-riding session again. I promised them to bring more chocolate bars if and when I come back. I pray they would study hard like all pakcik-pakcik and makcik-makcik tried to do when they were young in colonial Malaya. I also hope that when they have grown up, especially after becoming educated, rich, powerful and famous, they would never forget the the immense sacrifices our tok-tok, nenek-nenek and ibu-bapa made to bring us independence and peace with honour, dignity, self-respect and self-esteem.

Specifically, I hope they would forever remember that it was right and honourable for our tok-tok, nenek-nenek and ibu-bapa to fight colonialism, imperialism and fascism even though they were not rewarded with offices in the Cabinet, Parliament, State Assemblies or State Exco, or conferred royal titles or given Approved Permits to import luxurious foreign cars. They were not 'terrorists' but real fighters for true Merdeka for everyone of us.