Saturday, November 26, 2005

Shenandoah


Blogging does work wonders. Thanks to Jeff Ooi's free and very charitable advert, my blog Freedom in Solidarity has attracted the attention of a long 'lost' childhood friend of mine.

Alice Chew from Perth emailed me two days ago and asked me whether I still remember her. I certainly do because we were very close in those good old days when we were often paired together to perform singing in campfire nights. We also often cycled to Ipoh's Old Town on Saturday mornings to enjoy Uncle Raju's Mee Rebus before we turned back to the Zhong San Cinema on the bank of Kinta River and sat at the kaki lima of the building to read the expensive story books bought for her by her wealthy parents.

She reminded me of the old-time American folk songs we used to sing together in many starry campfire nights like Shenandoah, Red River Valley, Old Black Joe and Oh! Susanna. She said she heard about my election as a MP in 1990 but found no means of contacting me. She said she would be coming back to Ipoh to spend her Chinese New Year for the first time in 20 years.

Welcome home, Alice.