Friday, November 18, 2005

Thank you, mates


Everyone enjoys the human rights to continue to live in self-delusional coconut shells and fight the Dutch windmills like Don Quixote did and Zainuddin Maidin still does.

But for those of us who choose not to be stupid or to continue to be stupid, we have to thank Ian Ward and his wife-cum-editor Norma Miraflor for making the memoirs of Chin Peng available. Given their ideological backgrounds, they have done a remarkably professional job as co-authors, editor and publishers of the monumental Alias Chin Peng: My Side of History.

So, I happily sacrificed some of my times and mental energies to act as their consultant and final proof-reader for the English-Chinese translation of the memoirs. The seven days I spent in their house in Singapore reading and cross-checking the translated manuscript word-by-word twice were one of the most meaningful and memorable weeks in my life so far.