Friday, January 06, 2006

Keeping hearts and minds alive ...

I just came back from Jalan Riong where a group of young journalists from the alternative and independent media as well as some NGO activists gathered there to show their concern for what has happened to their friends in the China Press. Some of the mainstream media reporters were also there and they made it clear to me at the outset that while they would like to hear what I had to say on the China Press incident for archival records, it could not be published. I always love and respect honest blokes.

The one who interviewed me (photo) was a mainstream Chinese-language radio journalist. He and his former colleagues have now started an alternative website to continue their struggle to think, write and broadcast independently in the cyberspace. As long as the hearts and minds are not dead, there is always hope.

So, when the goings get tough, the tough get going.