Sunday, June 04, 2006

Faces of Courage still not released by gov't

Since very young, I have always been thrilled by reading banned books, books whose bans have just been lifted or famous books that are difficult to obtain like Dr. Mahathir Mohamad's The Malay Dilemma or Kassim Ahmad's Universiti Kedua. My five-year stay in Australia from 1981-1986 afforded me the most treasured moment in my life because I was able to read this type of books.

This feeling returned recently when I read Faces of Courage (Singapore, Media Masters, 2006), co-authored by Sybil Kathigasu, Chin Peng, Norma Miraflor and Ian Ward. I have finished reading it but most of other Malaysians are not that fortunate because it is still not officially approved for sale by the Home Affairs Ministry. It is, of course, available in many other first world countries like Singapore and Australia.

Nowadays, even books like Said Zahari's Meniti Lautan Gelora - Sebuah Memoir Politik and Dalam Ribuan Mimpi Gelisah - Memoir Said Zahari are also publicly available for sale in Singapore. Amir Muhammad's Lelaki Komunis 'Terakhir' has been also screened across the Causeway without difficulty. See the difference between Malaysia and Singapore after 40 years of separation and 15 years after the end of the Cold War?

Another 'Chin Peng book' held up
http://www.malaysiakini.com/news/51364

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home