Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Bali bombing


About a year later, a pub in Bali was also bombed indiscriminately without warning. It killed 202 people and injured 209.

My worse fear seemed to have been confirmed. A global war-like campaign of terrorism has emerged. I must say that with all my sympathy and empthy with the plights of the oppressed people in the Third World and the solidarity with wars of national liberation like in Vietnam and Algeria since very young, I still cannot agree for a moment that intentionally targeting lethal forces at innocent and unarmed civilians without any specific declaration of war or offer for peace negotiation is legitimate warfare.

Personally, I hoped that new Indonesian friends, Muslims and non-Muslims alike, I met in Bali during my visit there earlier were safe.

(Photograph downloaded from the Internet. It was not taken by me)