Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Delving into history of modern India ...

India's modern history has always fascinated me but for many years, I had regrettably found no time to learn about it more systematically. However, I have began a few days ago to read Lawrence James' Raj - The Making of British India (London, Abacus, 2003). It is a thick book with 722 pages but since I do not aspire to be an expert on Indian affairs, it puts no pressure on me. There is also no deadline as it is a pleasure reading.

For those who are worried that I might be brainwashed into seeing India from an imperialist historian's perspective, allow me to assure you that I have read enough anti-imperialist literature for my mind to be always on alert of attempt of cultural subversion. I also know the same book has another title Raj: The Making and Unmaking of British India and Lawrence has also written another book The Rise and Fall of the British Empire which I read some years ago.

1 Comments:

Blogger James Wong Wing-On said...

see-loh. almost every day for at least one hour. i could read very fast on subjects which i already have background knowledge because i have been reading certain type of books like modern world, chinese or european history (including WW1, WW2 and Cold War) since very young. but as for new subjects like modern indian history, it could also be extremely slow.

11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home